Sunday, June 15, 2008

OOO LA, summer concerts continue with THE KOOKS

Photobucket

I did (do?) love the backstreet boys, but it would be a horrible miscommunication to saddle the young 20 somethings from Brighton into this category. The boys have kept the vibe going from their first album Inside in/Inside out (Virgin 2006). Their new album Konks (Virgin 2008) keeps the honest ballads flowing with the bands sweet British rock pop voices. 

Much of the show was from Inside in/Inside Out which could be retitled happy (but kinda dark) sing along songs for the summer. Happy days for me having spent many a day and night on the seaside falling in love and listening to the Kooks amongst many other bands springing from the United Kingdom. These were the songs I knew and wanted to hear.
The crowd was a good mix of early to late 20 year olds. Referring back to my original BSB comment, it can be admitted that given the age of the band I was worried that I had somehow gotten into music geared toward a much younger demographic. To my relief, good tunes can be written at any age, based on my experiences on that crazy island I think its easy to grow up fast. Proof of this is lead singer Luke Pritchard who wrote the song "Naive" when he was 16 years old.
The sound was great, with every show the Kool Haus impresses me more and more, it definitely might have something to do with the new favorite viewing spot in front of the sound booth. The solo version of Seaside did it all for me. Video to come.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket




No comments: